Skip to content

Find a question

Can’t find what you’re looking for? Ask us a new question!

Can a Canadian family living out of country register for a RESP?



Our response:

A Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) can be set up for any “beneficiary,” including your children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews or family friends. Each beneficiary must be a Canadian resident and have a valid Social Insurance Number.

You will also need your social insurance number to open an RESP. Take a look at these 6 steps to opening an RESP.

Some provinces offer grants or incentives in addition to federal programs. To qualify for provincial programs, you must meet certain requirements like residency in the province. If such a program exists in your province, we recommend you review the program eligibility requirements and whether you and your children meet them.

Speak with a registered representative for investment advice to fit your personal situation. You may also visit Information about Registered Education Savings Plans (RESPs) for more information.

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Copy the URL to share:

  Share the site: