Skip to content

Find a question

Can’t find what you’re looking for? Ask us a new question!

Can I transfer shares from my non-registered investment account to my RRIF?



Our response:

In general, only funds from a Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) can be contributed to a Registered Retirement Income Fund (RRIF).

You open a RRIF by transferring money from your RRSP. Transfers from other registered plans like pension plans and DPSPs are allowed under certain circumstances. Funds from a non-registered account cannot be contributed to a RRIF.

We are not able to provide legal or financial advice. Speak to a registered financial advisor for more information about making contributions to a RRIF and generating retirement income. Learn more about registered plans in the Canada Revenue Agency’s publication, RRSPs and Other Registered Plans for Retirement.

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Copy the URL to share:

  Share the site: