Skip to content

Find a question

Can’t find what you’re looking for? Ask us a new question!

Do I need caregiver consent to open an RESP for my nephew?



Our response:

Read this previous answer to learn more about opening a Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) for a relative.

You must have the child’s social insurance number (SIN) to set up an RESP. Caregiver authorization and information is required to apply for certain RESP grants and bonds. You may also consider consulting caregivers regarding additional RESPs that may be set up in the child’s name. This is because RESPs have a lifetime contribution limit per child – $50,000 – and government grants and bonds are provided on an annual basis based on annual contributions, up to certain limits.

Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) has information about RESPs and you may consider contacting ESDC to understand the rules regarding opening an RESP for a relative.

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Copy the URL to share:

  Share the site: