Skip to content

Find a question

Can’t find what you’re looking for? Ask us a new question!

Can a spouse who is not a citizen contribute to an RRSP?



Our response:

For income tax purposes, a permanent resident of Canada who has established significant residential ties, has tax responsibilities and benefits that they may be entitled to, such as the ability to open and contribute to an individual Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP). It may also be beneficial to open a spousal RRSP that is registered in the name of your spouse or common-law partner. This previous Investing Questions question may help to understand more about how spousal RRSPs work.

Visit to learn about RRSPs. Speak with registered financial representative or tax professional for advice to fit your personal situation. For more information contact the Canada Revenue Agency.

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Copy the URL to share:

  Share the site: