Skip to content

Find a question

Can’t find what you’re looking for? Ask us a new question!

Can you contribute to a TFSA while a non-resident of Canada?



Our response:

A Tax-Free Savings Account (TFSA) can be opened by a non-resident of Canada if they are 18 years of age or older and hold a valid SIN. However, any contributions made to the account while a non-resident will be subjected to a 1% tax for each month the contributions stays in the account.

Visit to learn about how TFSA’s work and you can review previous questions on this site on the topic that may help as you move forward. Speak with a registered representative for investment advice to fit your personal situation.

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Copy the URL to share:

  Share the site: