Skip to content

Find a question

Can’t find what you’re looking for? Ask us a new question!

If I opened an individual RESP with my son as the beneficiary can someone else contribute to it?



Our response:

Generally, anyone who wants to contribute to a child’s education can contribute to an RESP, subject to the beneficiary’s annual and lifetime limits and plan requirements.

However, keep in mind that for any contributor other than the Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) subscriber there may be tax implications if the beneficiary decides not to carry on studies after high school.

Visit to learn about RESPs and other savings plans. Speak with a registered representative or tax professional for advice that fits your personal situation.

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Copy the URL to share:

  Share the site: