Skip to content

Find a question

Can’t find what you’re looking for? Ask us a new question!

What happens to my RRSP account if I become a non-resident?



Our response:

Canadian citizens that have become non-residents can continue to hold RRSPs after leaving Canada. Canadian financial institutions will withhold a non-resident tax of 25% (unless reduced by treaty — an agreement between two countries designed to avoid or mitigate double taxation) for certain types of Canadian source income to non-resident Canadians which includes RRSP payments. Non-resident Canadians should also consider taxation in their country of residence.

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) has a non-residents tax calculator to help estimate taxes owing on many types of income, including income from an RRSP. Consult with a qualified professional for advice that fits your personal and financial situation.


Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Copy the URL to share:

  Share the site: